How to Teach Yourself to Eat Healthy
Learning how to eat healthy takes time, but it can be a very rewarding experience. It is not about eating healthy, keeping healthy body weight and preventing disease, but you can also live longer and happier. Healthy nutrition is one of the best things you can do for your body and you can start right now!
1. Don't skip meals. When you get too hungry you’re less likely to make healthy choices.
2. Eating too little can backfire. Never have less that 1200 calories a day or you may actually slow down your metabolism.
3. Don't grocery shop when you are hungry. You are likely to have less willpower and buy all the goodies!
4. Never remove entire food groups from your diet e.g. carbs, protein, fats. Instead trim the portions of food within those food groups.
5. Make lunch at home and bring it to work. It will probably be more nutritious and have fewer calories- not to mention it costs less.
6. Eat slowly and savour every bite. You'll be satisfied with less food.
7. You are more likely to give into cravings when you are lacking sleep. Get enough sleep.
8. Keep your portions in control by never eating from the box or bag.
9. Use small plates; Research shows that you'll eat less because you'll think you ate more.
10. Don't have a big lunch and dinner on the same day. If you overeat at one meal, cut back on the next.
11. Don't focus on what you can’t eat, concentrate on what you can eat more off e.g. fruits, veg, whole grains, fish, legumes, and nuts.